Is your home healthy? How to prevent Legionnaire's disease
Is your home healthy? Strange question actually, but this in the context of Legionnaires' disease. Legionnaires' disease is caused by Legionella bacteria and the number of people who have contracted Legionnaires' disease has gradually increased in recent years.
The legionella bacteria
It's been years since a village near where I lived became known for legionella bacteria against their will. This was big news at the time and then you heard more often about legionella bacteria or Legionnaires' disease.
Legionnaires' disease in your home
Where in the house could you encounter the legionella bacteria, which can cause Legionnaires' disease? Now the chances of getting symptoms from Legionnaires' disease at home are very small. Yet to limit the growth of legionella bacteria at home, you can take the following measures:
- Adjust the boiler or combi boiler to at least 60 degrees.
- Coming back from vacation, flush all the pipes (taps and shower) for a few minutes for fresh water. By the way, do the same when you arrive at your vacation address.
- Do not fiddle with the drinking water system yourself but have it done ( if necessary) by a recognized company.
- Never leave water in appliances (coffee makers and steamers. are not a danger). Think garden hose, high pressure sprayer, plant sprayer.
Air quality in the home
Besides preventing Legionnaires' disease in the house, it is also important to test the air quality in the house. You can simply do this yourself or have it done. Air quality is determined by drafts, moisture, temperature, solvent use and much more. If the air quality is not right, you may suffer:
- Oxygen deficiency
- Complaints due to too dry air
- An unpleasant indoor climate
- A constant feeling of flu
- Odor and smell nuisance
- Concentration problems
In case you think, I recognize these complaints, or just want to be on the safe side. It is not at all wrong to think and work on this from time to time. After all, a healthy home makes for a healthy body.